Go
Home >> Genealogy >> Holdener Genealogy
print this page pdf of document

Holdener Genealogy

ge-ne-al-o-gy (jE’nE’al"e-jE), n. [14th c. - Middle English genealogie, from Middle French, from Late Latin genealogia, from Greek, from genea race, family + -logia -logy; akin to Greek genos race]
   1: an account of the descent of a person, family, or group from an ancestor or from older forms
   2: regular descent of a person, family, or group of organisms from a progenitor or older form : "PEDIGREE"
   3: the study of family pedigrees

Die Geschlechter in Oberiberg (The Generations of the Oberiberg)

The old country of Switzerland consists originally of four quarters: Over Water, Below Water, The Steiner and Muotathal Quarter, but then, after the expansion through the Arth in the year 1354, which became another Quarter, and with the division of the Water Quarters, there were six quarters.

The Below Water Quarter included the south and west villages Riemenstalden, Morschach, and Upper- and Lower Schonenbuch, Feld, Igenbohl, and Brunnen, lying south and west of Muota. Obviously, the lower part of the village Ibach with Hinterbach, and the local government center, belonged to it.

Also the following generations, who today still settle in this place, would be part in one of these Quarters.

Das alte Land Schwyz bestand ursprünglich aus vier Vierteln: ob dem Wasser, nid dem Wasser, Steiner- und Muotathalerviertel, dann aber, nach der Erweiterung durch Arth im Jahre 1354 als eigenes Viertel und mit der Teilung des Oberwässerviertels in Alt- und Neuviertel, aus sechs Vierteln.

Das Nidwässerviertel umfasst die südlich und westlich der Muota liegenden Orte Riemenstalden, Morschach, Ober- und Unterschönenbuch, Feld, Ingenbohl und Brunnen. Selbstverständlich gehört auch der untere Teil des Dorfes Ibach mit Hinteribach und dem Landsgemeindeplatz dazu.

Auch die folgenden Geschlechter, welche heute noch in Oberiberg ansässig sind, wurden in eines dieser Viertel zugeteilt.

Holdener

According to the old annuals of Morschach, it is believed that the ancestors of the Holdeners already lived here in the 9th century, with the Ruedi, Inderbitzin, and Aufdermaur in Riemenstalden, and established, at the time, the old wooden church aside of which they made their burial places. If, after all, there was an old Parsonage of Riemenstalden, and the chapel was only a branch of Morschach, then one cannot by any means set the settlement of the valley so far back. The settlement was founded at least three hundred years later through the shepherds of Morschach and Muotathal. The Holdeners were at the time of the division of land into quarters, in the 13th century, obviously among the churchgoers at Steinen and were residents assigned to this quarter. During the first Alliance, and the Fight for Freedom in the 13th and 14th century, they fled with their cudgels and their halberds among great numbers, and they belonged to the founders of the Swiss Confederation, as well as their leader. Uli Holdener from Steinen was a land holder, the provincial governer of Baden, and leader of the 7th regiment of the Steiner Quarter from 1610 to 1612. He donated the second bell in the church in Steinen. His seal with the coat of arms with a three-leaved branch with roots was imprinted on the bell, and as a helmet symbol, a little man with a twig and halberd. In the years 1605 and 1611, he was appointed representative to the Diet. Martin Holdener was the general of the 7th regiment from 1649 - 1658: and Jost (??) governor of Bellenz in 1554. A Uli Holdener died at Freienbach in the Old Zurich War in 1443. Four Holdeners died in the French Time from 1798 - 1799. After the departure of 1632, Martin Holdener stood by the defenders among the land troops. Martin Holdener was from the mountain, the village of Steinerberg, with the armory under the Panner (??).

Nach dem alten Jahrzeitbuch von Morschach sollen die Stammväter der Holdener schon im 9. Jahrzeitbuch, mit den Rüedi, Inderbitzen und Aufdermaur, in Riemenstalden gelebt, Jahrzeiten gestiftet und dort neben der alten hölzernen Kirche ihre Grabstätten gefunden haben. Allein, wenn es überhaupt eine alte Pfarrei Riemenstalden gab und die Kapelle nicht nur eine Filiale von Morschach war, darf man die Besiedelung jenes Tales keinesfalls so weit züruckversetzen. Sie erfolgte mindestens drei Jahrhunderte später durch die Hirten von Morschach und Muotathal. Die Holdener waren zur Zeit der Einteilung des Landes in Viertel, im 13. Jahrhundert, offenbar im Kirchgang Steinen wohnhaft und wurden darum diesem Viertel zugeteilt. Wahrend der ersten Bunde und Freiheitskampfe, im 13. und 14. Jahrhundert, liefen sie mit ihren Knütteln und Hellebarden unter dem grossen Haufen und gehörten zu den Gründern der Eidgenossenschaft, so gut wie ihre Führer. Uli Holdener von Steinen war 1610-1612 Landesstatthalter, Landvogt zu Baden und Siebner des Steinerviertels. Er stiftete in die Pfarrkirche zu Steinen die zweite Glocke. Sein in Siegelform darauf aufgegossenes Wappen zeigt einen dreiblätterigen Zweig mit Wurzeln und als Helmzeichen ein Männlein mit Zweig und Hellebarde. In den Jahren 1605 und 1611 war er auch Tagsatzungsgesandter. Martin Holdener war 1649 - 1658 Siebner; Jost Landvogt zu Bellenz 1554. Ein Uli Holdener fiel bei Freienbach im alten Zürichkrieg 1443 und vier Holdener kamen in der Franzosenzeit 1798 - 1799 ums Leben. Nach dem Auszugsrodel von 1632 stand Martin Holdener bei den Schützen, unterm Landsfahndli und Martin Holdener am Berg (Steinerberg) bei den Harnischern, unterm Panner.

 

-- German given to Don Holdener at Gemeinde, in Oberiberg, Switzerland in November, 1986 by Walter Holdener.
-- Translated by Sister Pancratia Schmitt of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ

Holdener.com © 1999 - 2017
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use